Slow-Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
Turn to your slow cooker for a classic biscuit-topped chicken pot pie with savory long-simmered flavor and plenty of veggies.
4 hour, 20 mins
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour,
- 1¾ teaspoons poultry seasoning,
- 1¾ teaspoons dried thyme, , divided
- ½ teaspoon salt,
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper,
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs and breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces,
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, , divided
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into half-moons,
- 2 stalks celery, sliced,
- 2 red-skin potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces,
- 8 white mushrooms, thinly sliced,
- 1 large onion, chopped,
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth,
- 2¼ cups biscuit mix,
- ⅔ cup milk,
Combine flour, poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper in a large sealable bag; add chicken pieces to bag and toss to coat.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag with a slotted spoon, shaking off excess flour. Set remaining flour mixture aside and add chicken to skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until browned; place in slow cooker.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and stir in carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms and onion; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir remaining flour mixture into skillet and cook 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Pour skillet contents into slow cooker. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 7 hours.
When there is 1 hour cook time remaining, stir together biscuit mix, milk and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon thyme. Drop biscuit dough by the tablespoonful over the top of the chicken mixture. Cover slow cooker with a cotton dish towel and place the lid on top. Continue cooking until the biscuits are cooked through.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.