Better Homes & Gardens
Greek Chicken with Cucumber Salad
Bone-in chicken breasts get a lemon-garlic herb rub, then braise in the slow cooker before being served with a tangy cucumber-yogurt salad.
4 hour, 10 mins
- 4 cloves garlic, minced,
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed,
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel, plus more for garnish,
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste,
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper,
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves (3 to 4 breast halves), skinned,
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth,
- 1 large cucumber (about 12 ounces),
- 6 ounces plain fat-free Greek yogurt,
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil,
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice,
- Lemon wedges,
- Snipped fresh parsley (optional),
In a small bowl combine half the garlic, oregano, 1 teaspoon lemon peel, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Rub mixture over both sides of chicken. Pour broth in a 4-quart slow cooker and add chicken. Cover and cook on Low for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or on High for 2 to 2 1/4 hours.
Meanwhile, for yogurt sauce, shred 2 tablespoons cucumber. In a small bowl stir together the shredded cucumber, yogurt, mint and the remaining garlic. Season to taste with salt. Cover; chill. Slice and/or coarsely chop the remaining cucumber. In a medium bowl toss together the cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice. Season to taste with salt. Cover; chill.
To serve, transfer chicken to serving plates; discard cooking liquid. Spoon yogurt sauce over chicken. Serve with cucumber salad and lemon wedges. Sprinkle with parsley and additional lemon peel, if desired.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.