Better Homes & Gardens
Cherry, Turkey & Wild Rice Salad
A zesty orange vinaigrette dresses this rice-and-greens salad loaded with fresh cherries, chopped turkey breast and toasted pecans.
- 4 cups water,
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice,
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey breast,
- 1½ cups halved pitted fresh sweet cherries,
- ½ cup sliced celery (1 stalk),
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel,
- 3 tablespoons orange juice,
- 2 tablespoons canola oil,
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar,
- 1 teaspoon sugar,
- ¼ teaspoon salt,
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper,
- 6 cups torn butterhead (Boston or bibb) lettuce or packaged fresh baby spinach,
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted,
In a medium saucepan, combine water and rice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain. Place rice in a large mixing bowl; cool. Add turkey, cherries, and celery to cooled rice.
For dressing, in a small bowl whisk together orange peel, orange juice, oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over rice mixture. Toss to combine. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
To serve, arrange lettuce or spinach on a serving platter. Spoon rice mixture over lettuce. Sprinkle with pecans.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.