Artichoke Halves with Restaurant-Style Hot Spinach Dip
You only need 20 minutes to make our Artichoke Halves with Restaurant-Style Hot Spinach Dip. The artichoke halves add style, serving as individual dishes for the dip. Rich, hot spinach dip will have people marveling at your culinary skills. Take this elegant dish to your next party as a side or appetizer.
- 2 artichokes
- 1 tablespoon Lucerne® whipped butter
- 1 cup O Organics® whole or low fat milk
- 1 1/2 Tbs unbleached white flour
- 1/16 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/16 tsp white pepper (black pepper can be used)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup Lucerne® shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/8 cup chopped green onions, white and part green (about 1 green onion, white and part of green)
- 5 ounces Signature Kitchens® frozen chopped spinach, thawed and gently squeezed of excess water
- Salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
Cut artichokes in half, from the stem to the tip. Using a metal spoon, scoop out the prickly thistle center and inner leaves with sharp pink tips and discard. Place artichoke halves in a microwave-safe dish with cover and add about 2 inches of water. Microwave on high about 5 minutes. Flip the halves over and microwave about 5 additional minutes. If artichokes aren’t yet cooked through and tender, microwave longer, as needed.
While artichokes are cooking in the microwave, start making the spinach dip. Melt butter in small, non-stick saucepan over medium heat, until golden brown. Stir in 3 tablespoons of milk and the flour, nutmeg and pepper. Slowly stir in remaining milk. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and continue to gently boil, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Stir in Parmesan cheese, garlic, green onions and spinach. Continue to heat on low for a few minutes, stirring often. Add salt and pepper, to taste, if desired.
Spoon a quarter of the hot dip in the center of each artichoke half. Simply reheat each artichoke half in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm up, if needed.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.